Wednesday, October 15, 2014


 
Activity 11: Search Engines Beyond Google:

I tried Bing and it seems pretty good. It does certainly have similarities to Google, but I like the sub-categories, reminds me a little of how Yahoo used to look. Under "More" there is a travel section, a translator and Explore Bing which has spotlights on timely information like Halloween and Elections (both coming up) and other topics depending on what time of year it is and then features of Bing.
 

I tried this search engine. It seems interesting..definitely less clutter and ads..and I guess it is good that it doesn't search your personal info..sometimes the ads/info gathered from data mining are interesting, but in general I suppose it is better if it doesn't do this. The searching seems pretty good. It does talk about instant answers and ways of searching, but I don't see how you get instant answers..I thought it would be something you click on.



I tried Ask and it definitely does have a lot of trivia questions, which are interesting..but I wonder what sources are being used to answer it and whether it is usually accurate. The one about Christopher Columbus and who funded his voyage matched what I had heard so that seems accurate...
 
RecipeBridge.com does have access to a lot of recipes..I guess it could be handy if you really want all of your recipes in one place? Maybe if you're very interested in food and cooking? Otherwise I think just searching the internet works well too.
 
I just tried  Momondo which seems interesting. I don't know whether Kayak being an "indepdently run" subsidiary of Priceline is bad..hard to say. I haven't really used either site before. But I did do a search on aurora borealis under "inspiration" and came up a list of the best places to see it so that's cool.  
 
At home I sometimes use www.goodsearch.com because I like the idea of donations being made to a charity of your choice. I used to use www.dogpile.com, but then I think I just ended up joining the Google bandwagon at work. 

 
 


 


 


No comments: