Sunday, September 14, 2014

Activity 8: Points of View Reference Center

I've thought this database is a good thing ever since it replaced Opposing Viewpoints



I looked up Ukraine and found an Overview and some articles but it didn't have the "Related Information" that was listed in this activity and that I found under other subjects. I then realized that there was a side article on the main page saying that Crisis in Ukraine was an upcoming topic so I suppose once it is fully done it will have these side links to magazines/journals/transcripts. I think it is good that these are there, but one does have to examine them carefully to see if they are related enough to what you or the student is trying/needs to say in his/her/your paper.

I would recommend this database to students who are researching pros and cons and/or current topics that have been in the news that they might need different opinions on. I think this database also has good information on how to write papers, evaluate resources. This could also be useful for people who are trying to get an overview of an issue and the different positions people have taken on this issue. 

I did some more exploring and under Reference Shelf (on the right hand side of the page) there is a link for charts and graphs that lists different topics it has charts and graphs under in alphabetical order and you can search it. It would be nice if there were a Charts and Graphs category under Related Resources. Also under "More" on the top of the page there is a section for images/video where you can search by topic. I think this would fit better under Related Resources. Also the videos come from Video Encyclopedia of the 20th century...what is this? I don't see any information explaining this on the website, but I did find this information when I did a google search on Video Encyclopedia of the 20th century.


No comments: