Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thing 5-Notetaking. Well, I downloaded the Dragon Dictation App because we have Dragon Naturally Speaking at home..well, at least we did until my computer started freezing and generally not working and now is being consulted about by tech people in India and worked on by people at HP so who knows when it will really work again. My son has fine motor difficulties and a really short attention span so typing has never been easy and I was excited to try this app with him. We used it to compose a short e-mail message and he was excited to see what he was saying show up on the screen (as was I). It is both a bummer and sort of a good thing that it makes you tell what punctuation you need..the bummer in that this slows down his flow of thoughts and the good part is that it is making him learn about punctuation. So, we'll keep working on this..it's nice that it is free because the version for PC's/Mac's is not. Springpad and Bamboo Paper sound interesting..maybe will have to try..Remember the Milk..it's hard not to like something with a cow app...I didn't try it because the ipad already has a note pad/reminder list..it's the thing I use to create reminders for my son that he ignores so he can more quickly get to youtube..sigh!

Professionally..I don't know how much I would use this because I would feel self conscious dictating something in the library..egads! However, I would recommend it to people, especially to those for whom typing might be trickier/frustrating...

The other apps sound like they might have more professional applications, at least for me, but again don't have a mobile device at work so....

No comments: