Saturday, April 19, 2014

Thing 8 Social Media Management:

I've used a number of these sites so I will comment on my experience especially because the Ipad which I borrowed from my son this morning when he was sleeping..was not charged so it is down to 4%..sigh.

So I've used Facebook for a while for personal reasons and a tiny bit for professional to contact someone for a program and I knew Facebook was a more reliable way to message her than e-mail which this person didn't always respond to. It's also a nice way to see what organizations are up to, upcoming events, a way to share info and ask questions. I would guess pretty much every library has a Facebook page of some sort.

I signed up for Twitter for the first time in Dec as part of a library training. I don't know, maybe I am old, but I find all these social media tools a little exhausting and to go to them all the time to keep up...? And yet I am supposed to be at the desk giving everyone eye contact so no one feels ignored. In any case, it is another way to keep up with info and reach out to people so that is good.

I signed up for Linked in a few years ago because I was searching for someone I needed to reach and it indicated they had a Linked In account..then I posted my career info on it to have just in case and as a place to track career info. Other than that I haven't used it much but it certainly would be useful for someone who is job hunting and it could be a good way to connect with other professionals/organizations.

I haven't used FourSquare..it would be interesting to know who the mayor of our library is...

As far as the HootSuite, Buffer, and Cloze go..I think that HootSuite could be good if you were trying to manage a library's or libraries' various social media postings and/or needed to post to a number of places at once for a program or some announcement that needs to be shared and Buffer looks like it is somewhat similar. Cloze could be good for making sure you don't miss important message with people with whom you are working closely. The various twitter apps and facebook apps..it is funny that you would need a separate app to help you use a social media site, I guess if I were facebook or twitter this would make me wonder whether things needed to be fixed. I don't think I'll need these, but perhaps if I were doing multiple postings it could be useful. It does make me think that you'd want to be awfully careful about what you post since once you do it, it would potentially go to many places.

I'm not sure how the tv related app applies to work but it could be fun I guess and something to recommend to patrons or a way to find out about what's happening with a show?

No comments: